So, I went to Craig'slist and found, not one, but two dressers for sale by some folks only a couple of miles away. When I emailed for pictures, I got these:
Er, undeterred by the photos, I ventured forth and purchased all of them for $100. It was probably rather generous on my part, but I have plans.... You may be aware that the two white pieces match a set that my mom bought years ago at an auction. I don't think she has these same pieces. And, no, my buying this is not yet another step in my plot to get my mom to give me the armoire from the set ;), it's just that due to the fact that I'd seen these before, I knew that these are decent (albeit ugly) pieces of furniture. In fact, I have a lesser quality (but still eons better than cheap-o furniture available today) dresser from the set in my bedroom. My dresser has plastic facings on the drawer fronts instead of being solid wood like the better pieces. Anyway...
So the ugly brown beast? That's the one I'm taking on for the girl's room. Yesterday, Ben lightly sanded the whole thing, took off the hardware, and popped off all of the bric-a-brac . I haven't quite primed the whole thing. I filled the top three dresser dresser handle holes with wood putty, so that we can replace some of the handles with some schmancy crystal jobbies. Then, the rest of the handles will be spray painted silver.
And, the color? We ventured to Lowe's yesterday afternoon (Sherwin William's was closed). I was feeling guilty about not buying Sherwin William's paint, when the attendant (um, not a very accurate description considering the wait to even get any help and then the wait for the paint, and then...) delivered a full gallon of "tropic sea" semi-gloss. I had asked for a quart. They marked it down to the quart price. I'm not sure what else I'll paint with this color, but I think it would likely work OK for something in the boy's "Buzz Lightyear" color scheme, too.
An aside, with regard to Lowe's paint...A few times, we have bought paint at Lowe's since we have, not one, but two brothers-in-law (one on each side!) who have worked for Sherwin-Williams for quite a long time. It seems we always get a discount at Lowe's too!
So, since I've not yet finished the primer on this baby, I'll give you just a preview of what's to come!





1 comment:
That's going to be awesome!
Post a Comment