Friday, March 28, 2008

First Post

I have mixed feelings about a blog.  By writing it, I feel it somehow affirms that my days are not wasted.  I can take note of things that have happened.  I can remember them.  I could just write on paper, but typing is easier with a nursing baby.  

Today we took a field trip with our local homeschool group.  We went to a nature center to watch them make maple syrup.  We learned how to identify a Sugar Maple, how to tap it, how local Native Americans tapped the trees and used the sap, how pioneers tapped the trees and processed sap, and then watched a man boiling down sap in a sugar shack.    We tasted some frozen maple sap from the bottom of a collection bucket.  The kids called them sapscicles.

M has been "making syrup" all afternoon with water.  I won't divulge that she's also been making a huge mess; I suppose it will wipe up easily.  I had a hard time discouraging her as she asked me to help her make syrup and kept asking me questions about the process. 

Ben is attending a game in the "Sweet 16."  He was offered a ticket yesterday, and of course, couldn't turn it down.  He's been getting free rides to all kinds of sporting events lately.  His brother tells him he needs to focus his "energy" on the lottery.

No comments: