Yeah, I've slacked off on the blogging, and no, we didn't sizzle away. When things heated up last weekend, the air went back on. I did continue hanging laundry last week, though, managing a whole 8 loads, including a load of towels which I first put in the dryer for about 15 minutes before hanging on the line (I heard this helps with the crunchy). They weren't too bad, but I didn't have any non-dryered towels with which to compare. I'm guessing that, like I've found with dipes, so long as they are generally alternated with line-drying and going into the dryer, they won't get horrible. My other thought was, there is only a short window here during which line drying is actually feasible, so I think we can live with it for that time. I have only put 2 loads out this week because of threat of rain (it actually only rained once for a short bit, but, anyway...). I haven't done much laundry this week though, because I did a lot over the weekend.
Tonight, the boys and Molly and Ben are out fishing again. They are really enjoying it. And I can't complain about a little (relatively) quiet time around here.
Oh, and more news! On, I believe, the 25th of July, Molly and Craig Cypher welcomed baby boy Coleman! He was 10 lbs. 2 oz. and born via c-section (so a good 10 days early, I think!). A big, beautiful little boy!
Also last week, I planted two little rows of carrots and radishes and some spinach and lettuce. All of them are sprouting. My baby broccoli in the window is looking rather spindly. I'm hoping I will still be able to use it. It's starting on a second set of leaves, so I'm hoping it will start getting a little heartier and I can just plant it deeply.
We shall see....
I am doing lots of reading on gardening, etc. of late. I want to talk to Ben about plans for here. I don't know how long we will be here. I want to do more planting, perhaps some dwarf fruit trees or something, but those would be rather a waste of time if we will not be here for a lot longer. I know the thought would make Ben twitch, but I'd love to have a few chickens for eggs, even possibly to take in for processing(not going to touch that job!), but they are not allowed in this zone.
Some of this comes from a question of the stability of our current way of life in this country. There's lots of talk "out there" that would suggest that we need to learn to live differently. I can't say though, that that's all there is to it, because, really, this is always how I have imagined I would live. It seems the healthiest and most true way of life--to live within the seasons, eat food at its freshest, know where it comes from, what's in it, how it was processed. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't step off the grid unless by force, but I'd like to live in a way that left us able to live without whatever if we had to. Yeah, I'm likely a nut, but there are nuttier folks out there! ;) Even if things stay the way they are--the price of gas goes no higher, global warming is a myth (and I'm in no way convinced that it's not), and the dollar continues to carry on or even recover--I really believe that it can be nothing but a service to our children to learn that they don't have to rely upon the grocery store for food and that joy and happiness don't come from stuff (not that we don't enjoy stuff....). Anyway--it's possible that rain that they keep saying is going to happen, and didn't predict today is on it's way, so I need to go get the laundry off the line. Ben and the kids are headed back from the lake

5 comments:
Video message!?
Check your Facebook wall.
I did. No video messages. Are you pullin' my leg?
video message should be on your wall.
Yeah. It wasn't there. No bigs, though.
Post a Comment