Tuesday, November 4, 2008

October Grocery accountablility

Yes, other people are adding up votes, I'm adding up grocery trips.  Technically, I've titled this "October Grocery...", but our fiscal month runs from the 15 to the 15 of every month.  So, we're still on October.  I almost quit, but I figured it would be a good learning experience to write it all down and see exactly what we bought and how much we spent.  For real.

Today:
Nov. 4, 2008
Meijer
Here's the sad part.  I really didn't need to go to Meijer.  I just thought that I'd see if they had any good leftover Halloween candy.  I grabbed two bags, but then didn't buy them at the last minute.  what I did buy:
3 bottles laundry detergent on sale
1 bag of Jet-Puff Marshmallows (in case of fire, LOL)
bananas
baby wipes
Goodnights
Toilet paper
=36.65
We are low on laundry detergent and TP.

October 26, 2008
Brown Sugar 1.34
Powdered Sugar 1.34
Bread .99
2 lbs. shredded mozz 7.98
crackers 2.50
ice cream 2.50
=22.22

10/23
Costco
Garbage bags
5 lb. mozz cheese
Box of pretzels for NY trip
2 bags Halloween Candy
1.5 gallons vinegar
tortillas
25 lb. flour
4 lb. butter
54.48
Shoot.  I have two Costco trips (apparently these items were spread over two trips)... Ben must still have some of the receipts.
40.76
I am missing a couple of receipts (both mine and Ben's). I do have totals from my bank account, but sadly, I  cannot say what I bought (I have no memory anymore, I swear).  How bad is that? Among the items, I know are:
Goodnights 
Campbell's chicken noodle soup for Killian's lunch when everyone was gone.  
hot dogs, buns, and doritos
pretzels (for boys' snacks)
grapes
buns for French Dip sandwiches
onion
10/27 16.39
10/27 23.88
11/3 .80 ?
11/3 16.33
11/3 17.54
11/4  7.45
11/3 5.69

Most of these were Meijer purchases, so I have to confirm they were, indeed groceries and not something else. At least one of them may be gas. In fact, I am pretty sure either the 16.33 or 17.54 is gas.  I bought gas on Friday, but it didn't show on my bank statement until 11/3.

OK.  Totals.....(WINCE)......630.96.  Perhaps it's 615 or so if one of those is gas.  What was that I said about keeping it under $400?  Dang.  

So, obviously, there needs to be absolutely no more spending for the next two weeks or so.  We are more than done.  We have food here.  I just have to get on top of it all and prepare it.  I need to make granola bars for the boys to take for snack.  We're out of the "snacky" stuff, so I need to make some now.


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Just getting it all on paper is an ENORMOUS first step. Now you know and you can use that information in the coming months. I don't even know what I spend on groceries in a month. It's probably pretty scary!!

Jody said...

Thanks, Sarah! That's why I continued. I think often we do really well for the first half of the month and then stop paying attention to the little trips to pick up this or that that happen later in the month. Obviously, I have my work cut out for me....