Lest you take a peek at other stuff in this blog, rest assured; I am not teaching my kids to "debunk evolution," nor much else in there, I'm just there for the bread recipe, LOL. Anyway, it just came out of the oven. I screwed it up. I didn't punch it down the first night, but waited until morning. Then I let it rise all day, but by evening, it still had not risen much. Our kitchen is cold. So, I let it rise again, and it looked perfect this morning. The loaves are lovely. We'll see how they taste. They are the rustic, rock-hard kind of bread that Ben hates.
But, last night, I put together some buttermilk pancake mix, and, while I was at it, I saw another bread recipe in Nourishing Traditions. This is a yeasted buttermilk bread recipe, and it calls for a bit of white flour, which will likely make everyone (especially Ben) happier. ;) And, as I was already grinding flour and had buttermilk in hand, it really took no time to get it started (the whole wheat flour needed to soak in the buttermilk overnight).
Best of all, it's done almost entirely in the food processor, so very little kneading. I know that's what people are supposed to love about bread-baking, but I really do not take great joy in kneading bread. Seeing the magic of bread rising, smelling the bread baking, eating fresh bread with butter melting on it, all those are good things. The kneading, not so much.

No comments:
Post a Comment