Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Aldi's/Menu Planning

I met a new neighbor (she actually lives on the court behind us--Nachez, not Peach Tree) a week or so ago, and she mentioned that she does much of her shopping at Aldi's.  Her mentioning that got me thinking that I need to start shopping there again.  I used to shop there frequently when we lived in Grand Rapids, but I've only been there a few times in the last six years (yes! Six Years!) since we moved here.  

Then, last week, a friend mentioned this website.  It contains shopping lists, menu plans, and recipes for meals made entirely from Aldi's ingredients.  So, I've planned out an October-November menu (running October 15-November 15) and made up a grocery list using the ideas here and a few of our regular favorites.  One of her lists has prices on it, but they are likely not spot-on considering the price increases of late, but as I progress here (and actually get over to Aldi's), I'll let you know.  Here is another link to a PDF file of a flyer available at Aldi's that lists most of their prices.  This one is actually from Grand Rapids, but it is from April, so I kind of doubt it is still current.  

So, next week I will be going shopping for the month.  I have a pretty good handle on Costco prices, so for stuff like cheese, I'll be watching to see if I can get it cheaper there.  I'm hoping to drastically cut our grocery budget this month.  I will also let you know how we like the recipes and ingredients.  Aldi's actually has a double-your-money-back guarantee if you don't like their products, so I suppose there is really  no risk in giving them a try. 

I have already made Chewy Granola Bars and Banana Muffins from the snacks menu, using honey instead of corn syrup.  Next time I will likely use whole wheat pastry flour in place of the all purpose as well.  My ingredients were not from Aldi's, as I have not been there yet, but the end result was yummy! 


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Totally keep me updated! I'm doing an Aldi's experiement as well and trying to reduce my grocery payment but still get/make quality food.