With all that is uncertain in this world, I think both Ben and I are in a similar place. He was looking out the window yesterday afternoon, and when questioned, he replied, "I'm just feeling very content right now."
And, I feel it too. With the knowledge and understanding that our plans are not what we had initially hoped--that we would be moving soon to a place with some acreage and (for Killian) a pond, comes some peace. We now work to make our home the place we want it to be, and, with some relief, we see that it can be all that we need and want. We have kind neighbors. We have good schools. Ideally, it would be closer to family, but we are not far, and hopefully, my parents will be bringing their boat around so that they, at least in the summers, will be closer too.
Once the initial yard work was done a few weeks ago with Ben and Jacob's hard work, I have stood, often, looking out the window at our yard. No, it's really not that much different, but it's beautiful. I just want to run around out there. After delaying for a few weeks, I have been hanging laundry daily (well, most days barring rain). We have continued to dig and plant and construct self-watering planters, planting more seeds--food and flowers--than we had planned. I had a stash of seeds, and it seemed silly not to just go ahead and give them a try. When summer ends, we'll save what seeds we can for next year.
It is fun to see what we can do. The kids have been helping, occasionally with planting, with watering, with laundry on the line. It is good for them, I think. I am looking forward to plants and veggies growing and them watching that happen. Liam already is offering to pick my radishes. He says I can eat them, though. ;) They are growing so big and capable. Even though they often fight doing stuff on their own, it amazes me as they begin to take the initiative to help out (and/or even just when they are able to really help when asked).

1 comment:
Content is good. I have to agree with that feeling. I sort of wonder if since these times have put the brakes on lots of plans for lots of people, and we don't know what tomorrow brings (as if we ever did..) - I wonder if it doesn't force us in a way to go "Hey...why was I longing for that anyway? What's so bad about where I am and what I've got now?" It's nice. I'm a little glad things have tightened up. I don't sweat the small stuff as much anymore, and I find myself feeling more thankful than I ever have - yet here we are in these uncertain times. Kind of cool.
Post a Comment