Your birth was a very much anticipated event, and we longed to meet you and hold you in our arms. We loved you before we saw your tiny little face, a cleft chin that looked like a little cherry under your mouth, a beautiful, perfect baby boy. We held you all the time. You even slept on my chest for most of your first year--basically refusing to sleep anywhere else. I didn't get a lot done, but I knew it would go fast, and I didn't want to look back and think, "I wish I had held him more."
You have grown so fast, sometimes without me even noticing. Here you are, beginning your second decade on this earth. It seems you have been a part of our lives forever. It has been such a privilege and an honor to see you grow, to watch you learn and take interest in the world around you. You are a kind and loving young man. You are smart beyond belief. I love to see you teaching and sharing with your siblings. I know sometimes it is hard to be a big brother, to be expected to do things because you are older, and to be expected not to do things because you are older. Often, I am impatient, and I am sorry for that. I know that, so often, you are trying hard to be a good person, trying hard to do what is expected. You often deserve more credit than you receive.
I love how dedicated and loving you are to all of your family. I love that you are always thinking. I love that you love mashed potatoes and cheeseburgers and insects and amphibians.
I always, knew, Killian, that I wanted to be a mom. I never knew, my boy, just how much you would teach me and show me about the world. I am truly, truly blessed to have you as my little boy.
I love you.
Mom

1 comment:
Beautiful. We really should make more time as moms to share what really goes on in our hearts and heads...I'm glad there are special moments like birthdays for us to find our excuse to make time to reflect and share.
Post a Comment